I hopped out and threw one in the back of the Pilot and off we went. Looking back I wish that I had taken all of them--this is such a solid chair.
Anyhow, on to the redo.
I wanted to keep the natural caning in the back, so I taped that part off, and started with an oil based primer.
I used Benjamin Moore's new line, Advanced, for the 2 finishing coats in Edgecomb Gray, satin finish. For the upholstery, I was a little disappointed to have to replace the foam, but when I stripped off the old fabric, the original foam was disintegrating. JoAnne Fabrics has foam for okay prices, and I was able to make the seat really comfy. It's upholstered in some Calico Corners fabric that I had from the outlet--which was perfect because the arms of the chair mimic the scrolling pattern in the negative space of the fabric. I wanted a little contrasting (subtle) pop, so I added the blue/gray chenille piping around the base of the seat. I like how the natural cane brings out the warm hues in the fabric pattern.