Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Valentine's Day


J and I don't usually go overboard on Valentine's day, but I was feeling a little sentimental this year. I found this cool idea for him and wanted to share it. It's a Latitude/Longitude bracelet. You can have it printed with any Lat/Lon that you want. It was hard to choose between the nostalgic choice, Florence, Italy (where we went on our honeymoon) or where we are now--I chose the latter--appreciating where God has brought us.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DIY Mirror


I was recently inspired by this image on Pinterest of a belted clock. 

I thought I could do a similar thing with a mirror. I found a couple of cool colored leather belts at a thrift store (I made sure I got ones that were as long as I could find). Then I picked up a mirror at Michael's for $5, and used a bit of styrofoam from my mom's recent purchase.  

I used a glue gun and put glue on the back of the mirror, and then glued it to the foam. Then I used an exacto knife to cut around the mirror. I then used the glue gun again to glue around the edges of the mirror, and attach the belt. 

I learned that important lesson that foam melts when hot glue is put directly on it! So I had to be careful to put it mainly on the edges of the mirror. Any glue that oozes out on the front side of the mirror can but removed by the knife once it is dry. 

And voila! A belt-mirror-tamborine (as J called it). If you use a mirror with a frame or are a very careful person, you would not need to put the foam behind it to stabilize the mirror as you glue it to the belt.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Trash Chair

On the way to school every morning, I always look forward to Tuesdays and Wednesdays--trash days in the neighborhoods that we drive through! A couple of weeks ago I found four great chairs waiting sadly for the trash.

I hopped out and threw one in the back of the Pilot and off we went. Looking back I wish that I had taken all of them--this is such a solid chair.

Anyhow, on to the redo.



I wanted to keep the natural caning in the back, so I taped that part off, and started with an oil based primer. 



I used Benjamin Moore's new line, Advanced, for the 2 finishing coats in Edgecomb Gray, satin finish. For the upholstery, I was a little disappointed to have to replace the foam, but when I stripped off the old fabric, the original foam was disintegrating. JoAnne Fabrics has foam for okay prices, and I was able to make the seat really comfy. It's upholstered in some Calico Corners fabric that I had from the outlet--which was perfect because the arms of the chair mimic the scrolling pattern in the negative space of the fabric. I wanted a little contrasting (subtle) pop, so I added the blue/gray chenille piping around the base of the seat. I like how the natural cane brings out the warm hues in the fabric pattern.