Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fish: Without a Doubt


Thanks to my thoughtful brother-in-law, I am the proud owner of Fish Without a Doubt: The Cook's Essential Companion by Rick Moonen and Roy Finamore. I started reading it at Christmas time, but had to shelve it for the past month and a half due to unflagging business. Tonight though, I had three fillets of Orange Roughy waiting for me, and I pulled out Fish Without a Doubt for some inspiration. I can't say much more than 1. I think it is the best fish (maybe dish) I have ever cooked, 2. The sauce was worth waiting for, 3. This is one of the best cookbooks that I have on my shelf--if you like fish or even wish you did--buy this book!. By the way, my husband agreed. I made some quick alterations based on the ingredients in my cupboards, and the result was still fantastic (I used 1/2 a bag of frozen leeks from Trader Joes, and Vermouth instead of red wine, and I substituted Orange Roughy for the Turbot). I'm going to include the Red Wine Butter Sauce recipe below, but go to the source for the best way to cook the fillets!

Fish Without a Doubt: The Cook's Essential Companion

Red Wine Butter Sauce

1 cup sliced shallots
3 Sprigs of Thyme
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1/2 cup ruby port
2 stick butter, cut into pieces
s&p
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Put the shallots, thyme, and red wine in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat and simmer until the wine has reduced to about 2 tablespoons and the shallots are very tender. 

Add the port and reduce to about 1/3 cup.

Remove the thyme. Turn the heat to very low. Use an emersion blender to start pureeing the shallots. Start adding butter a piece or two at a time, tilting the pan and using the blender to emulsify the butter and liquid. Continue adding butter bit by bit, incorporating what you have in the pan before adding more. 

[I did not do this part] Strain the sauce through a sieve... etc, etc.  

Add the vinegar. 

1 comment:

Margaret E. Perry said...

i have not wanted to eat anything in two days. but MAN this looks amazing.