Thursday, September 02, 2010

Baby Food

So I posted four years ago on my two favorite books on introducing solids & child nutrition. I also posted this great article on making baby food more taste-ful (or why do we start them off bland?!). 


I love the new baby things that are finally coming out it being popular to have babies right now. People are using great materials and design that is more aesthetically pleasing. Silicon is my new favorite thing--it's BPA free, freezer, dishwasher and oven safe. I got these Green Sprouts trays to make baby foods. They are perfect for making huge batches of baby food and freezing perfect 1 ounce portions. 


I also got these Kinderville bowls, cups, and lidded jars. They are great for transporting food, as well as storing food. They also have popsicle molds which will be fun to try some day. 


The babies are 8 months old, and here's what I have introduced so far (in the approximate order of introduction):

avacado
banana
rice cereal
pumpkin
sweet potato
carrot
pear
peach
dill
chicken (dark meat pureed)
cottage cheese (this was not a success--the curds were too big, and i did not have the patience to mash them, so it's off the menu for now, and will be reintroduced later)
peas
spinach
herbs de provence
cumin
apricot
prune
egg yolk (hard boiled then dissolved in breast milk or water)
yogurt (both soy yogurt and whole milk yogurt)
oatmeal
cinnamon
cardamom
potato
turnips and parsnips
blue berry
purple carrot
tahini
apple sauce
curry powder
fish (halibut)
mango
sunflower seed butter ("sunbutter" like peanut butter)
Kirkland brand No Salt Seasoning
rice seasoning like this: http://spoonizzle.blogspot.com/2010/05/fish-food.html  (you can get them at the asian markets--I look for the ones that are mainly vegetables) 
green beans
aspargus

1 comment:

Willa J. said...

Wow, that's quite a list!! I've given L most of those foods, but many not until just recently. Fortunately she's been adventurous from the start:).

Have you heard of the Baeba Babycook? I wish I had registered for it.