Friday, August 06, 2010

Book Pairings, Pt. 2

Recently, I have been plowing through a lot of fiction and history about World War Two. I recently started reading C.S. Lewis' collection of essays, The Weight of Glory. As I was reading W of G I thought how interesting it would be to read more books, essays, novels, etc. written during the war to get more of a sense of the kinds of things that folks were grappling with in the moment. 


Any suggestions for WWII? 


On my list is:
Few Eggs and No Oranges: Vere Hodgson's Diary, 1940-45, Vere Hodgson
David Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof Affair, by Irene Nemirovsky


Any other suggestions, specially on essays (kind of reflections, op-ed types, arguments, etc.) written during the war, would be most appreciated. 

2 comments:

sjcoffin said...

MAE WEST:

When I'm Bad, I'm Better: Mae West, Sex, and American Entertainment by Marybeth Hamilton

Goodness Had Nothing to Do With It by Mae West



Agatha Christie:

Agatha Christie: An Autobiography

Duchess of Death: The Biography of Agatha Christie by Richard Hack

William and Bonnie said...

Just before we left Germany I read Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure by Donald Kladstrup and Petie Kladstrup. You might enjoy it!

B