Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Virginia Food

J and I grabbed some fantastic food while in Culpeper. Friday night we stopped in to the Thyme Market and grabbed some fresh rosemary sun-dried tomato bread and unfiltered olive oil to go with our Barefoot bubbly. I looked forward to the next morning when I could more fully take in the stock of the market.

I was remarkably restrained, I thought, for the amount of fun and delicious looking items they carried (including the day's special of suckling pig). I picked up some Parmigianno Reggiano butter, Dave's Gourmet salts (since they had about 25 different salts to choose from, I went with a sampler of 6), Roasted Fava Beans (salted), and a Nu Go Organic Dark Chocolate Pomegranate bar.

The butter is a revelation. We made Jamie Oliver's omelette last night with it. It was subtle and a pure delight. I haven't had a chance to try all of the salts yet. The fava beans are great nutritionally (with 23g of protein a serving), but not altogether a pleasant after texture. I think they could use some more salt. I haven't tried the Nu Go Organic bar.

We ate breakfast at a nice diner on the corner of East and Main, and had a typical two eggs, sausage and home fries. For lunch we ate at Foti's. Foti's was started by two chefs who were trained at The Inn at Little Washington. Check out my pictures on my TwitPics site. Needless to say, it was delightful.

No comments: