Saturday, April 17, 2010

Portraying the Gilded Age

My mom and I recently attended the Smithsonian Resident Associate program entitled, "Portraying the Gilded Age." It was hosted at the Willard Hotel in DC, and featured a themed luncheon as well. The hotel was the perfect place to host the lectures, as it was built at the height of the Gilded Age, and is still a gorgeous example of that sort of architecture. (Btw, it would also be an awesome place to attend a high tea). It was quite interesting. The artists featured were  William Merritt Chase, James McNeill Whistler, John Singer Sargent, and Cecilia Beaux. I realized, after speaking with the others at our table, that everyone's favorite is Sargent! Most fascinating to me was actually William Merritt Chase. I don't know much about him, but what was of particular interest (besides his beautiful paintings), was the fact that he was happily married with children! I always like to find examples of normal artists! haha.

[Props to my rockin' husband, btw, for taking all three kids for the entire day, and to the wonderful people at the Willard for providing me a private place to pump!!]

No comments: