Friday, January 29, 2010

Play Kitchen

G is totally into her play kitchen and has been for three years. It was definitely a good investment. I don't know if it's just b/c it's a great toy, or if it's b/c she is surrounded by food nuts and both her parents love to cook, but she plays with it every day, and cooks things for me like "fish with egg batter" and "poached eggs and werbs [herbs]". I love hearing her say, "We're making empanadas!"

She and I just spent a day reorganizing her kitchen and making a list of things that she thinks are missing from a well equipped kitchen. I then spent some time scouring the house for things that would work or that I could make to fill in those gaps. She wanted a clock, to time things, a cook book (which I made by cutting up an old one of mine and bound for her), kitchen towels to hang on her oven door (which I made by cutting up one of ours for her), etc. It was a really fun day.

Here are a couple of things that we will be adding to her kitchen in the future (since she loves Thai food, and ordered for us last time: "Basil fried rice with beef, not too spicy.) I think she'll get a kick out of these:

Melissa and Doug Stir Fry Slicing Set

Melissa and Doug Wooden Sushi


She already has these (which I highly recommend! They work great, and get those little fingers learning! You can find them at H Mart or other Asian markets). There are lots of versions of learning chopsticks out there, but these are great, b/c they actually have loops for little fingers in the right spots.

No comments: