Monday, April 13, 2009

Poach Pods

Now, I could go on and on about these little wonders for a long time, but I will try and keep it brief.

Julia Child once talked about how she always insisted on the freshest ingredients, but that she was never one to turn her nose up at a new gadget or tool. So while poached eggs have always been the most tricky and temperamental of eggs, don't turn away just because it's a gadget! My cook friend explained why poach pods work so well. (More anon).

Poach Pods have revolutionized my mornings! They cook a perfect egg every single time. When I didn't want to fry or scramble, I used to try and do a boiled egg, but inevitably the white was too rubbery, or the shell stuck to the white, or the yolk was dried out.  
And then there was the whole fuss about the water boiling, timing it from the start of the boil, or taking it off once the water boiled at letting it sit for 15 minutes! (too long), or if the egg is room temperature, not putting it in until it boils (but who has the time to wait for your egg to come to room temp.?!).  With poach pods, you crack and egg into the (Pammed) pod, place them in the water when it boils, pop the lid on, and set the timer for 5 and a 1/2 minutes! I can unload my dishwasher while they cook. 

Until I ate one of these eggs, I don't think I had actually had a properly cooked white before. Delicious, moist, tender! ahhh! And the yolks... perfectly congealed along the outer edge, and nice and runny  and warm in the middle. 

1 comment:

scoffin said...

They are awesome! I have been the recipient of some darn good eggs!