Friday, March 27, 2009

Woman's Day

I have been searching and searching for old (early 1960s) copies of Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery volumes, as well as their WD Collector's Cookbooks. I have found some of the Encyclopedia volumes so far... I just LOVE the graphics! And in Vol. 11 of the Encyclopedia I even found an article, "The Pleasures of Tea Drinking", by James A. Beard! It begins, 

'Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea?--How did it exist? I am glad that I was not born before tea.' This warm appreciation for the cup that cheers was expressed by Sidney Smith, English writer and wit of the early 19th century. I heartily agree with Mr. Smith. The era B.T.--Before tea--must have been bleak."

So if you run across any cheap copies, be sure to snatch them up, or let me know and I will! I'm going to frame this one and put it up in my kitchen. 

No comments: