Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dairy-Free, pantry friendly Lasagne (TASTES GREAT!)

My daugther has an allergy to dairy products, so I have been trying to make the classics so that she doesn't grow up weird! But I want them to taste like the real thing. So far I am really happy with my lasagna. I will post more successful recipes as they come.

Ingredients:
1 Box of whole wheat lasagna noodles (I like Hodgson Mills)
1 lb pork sausage
1 lb ground beef
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 C. vermouth
1 24 oz can chopped tomatoes (hands down the best I have ever tasted are Muir Glen Organic--the Fire Roasted ones), liquid poured out
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1 container of Tofutti sour cream (on the warm side of room temperature, so that it is soft)
2 t dried basil
2 t. oregano
1 t. nutmeg
1 generous C. chopped mushrooms (I use rehydrated Manitou Trading Co Mushrooms)

How to:
Preheat the oven to 375

Cook noodles al dente, remove from water and set aside.

Cook sausage and beef together with spices and crushed garlic, when almost done pour in 1 C. vermouth and add the chopped mushrooms and simmer until the juices have reduced.

In a 9x12 pan spread a thin layer of tomato sauce, place a layer of noodles, then a layer of tomatoes, a layer of Tofutti sour cream, then a layer of the meat mixture, then a thin layer of sauce. Repeat this until everything is used up.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 Minutes, uncover and bake for 15 more. Let sit at least 5 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

I have made a few df lasagna's in my day, but never thought to use vermouth and "sour cream" among the mix. That sounds like an interesting and flavorful one!