Another great event hosted by the National Building Museum:
Join the National Building Museum and the National Cherry Blossom Festival in celebrating the annual opening of Washington, D.C.'s cherry blossom season. This year's family day invites visitors of all ages to enjoy hands-on activities, captivating martial arts demonstrations, and exciting indoor and outdoor performances that explore Japanese arts and design.
- WATCH the Shizumi Kdomo Dance Troupe perform traditional Japanese children's dances
- LISTEN to Japanese folk music performed on the koto, a Japanese zither-like instrument
- EXPLORE a larger than life origami sculpture and create your own origami figures to take home
- DRESS up in traditional Japanese clothing and discover traditional Japanese artifacts
- LEARN by creating Mon Kiri—the Japanese art of folding and cutting paper
- VIEW cherry blossom-themed artwork by D.C. public and charter school students
The Opening Ceremony will feature an appearance by Miss Universe, Riyo Mori, and performances by taiko drummer Kenny Endo, the Tateshina High School Jazz Club, and Howard University Jazz Ensemble.
Free. All ages. Drop-in program. Visit www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org for more details.
NBM Museum Shop and café open.