Monday, April 02, 2007

G-diapers

I kept wanting someone to invent a cloth/disposable mix...

Cloth is great for breathability, the lack of chemicals, and most of all that you can reuse the outer shell and save the earth from landfills burgeoning with plastic disposables. The problem I faced when looking at cloth diapers was that, at least for me, they are not practical. G and I are out all the time here and there. I like to travel light. I do not like the thought of toting stinking wet diapers with me all day. I don't mind the idea of cleaning them up, it's just that most days I am not just home with her all day. So they don't seem to be that great for this generation of moms. However disposables are expensive and really do not biodegrade quickly. So can't they make an outer shell of gortex like material that have disposable liners? The liners would not need any plastic coating and could easily biodegrade.

Then I found G-diapers! They are just as I described--and better. The liners are actually flushable. You don't even need a diaper pail any more. They fit great and really seem to be as absorbant as regular disposables. And the flushable part is GREAT.

The only problem is that they are more expensive than both cloth diapers and disposables. When will environmentalists realize that in order to change the world, you have to make it financially feasible for people? I am willing to pay some extra for organic food, etc. But when the costs are significantly higher for the green alternative ($20 more a box of disposable liners than for a box of disposable diapers), the market is already predisposed against it.

Make GREEN affordable!

ps. If you are interested in gdiapers, Wegmans sells them for $4 or $5 less than the official site for both the starter kit and the extra liners. I also have read that Whole Foods offers a discount of 10% if you buy a case.

2 comments:

Kimberley said...

HI there

I am the CEO of gDiapers. Thanks so much for writing about us. We too wanna make them cheaper and we are working hard to do that.

We have only just got into Wegmans. Can you tell me which Wegmans you saw them in? That woud be so helpful! We often engage with customers - they help us with our retail partners and in return we offer discounted product. Let me know if you are interested!

Many thanks.

Jason
dad/ CEO

andersonrc1 said...

Jason,

Wow! What an interesting turn of events. I'd be glad to help. I really do think you have a wonderful product.

I live in Fairfax, VA. I saw G-diapers at the Fairfax Wegmans.

Let me know what I can do to help.
Best wishes!
Rebecca

ps. If you would like to contact me more directly, my email is backpocketsATgmail.com