Saturday, August 26, 2006

I Heart New York

ML requested that I post some of my favorite places for fabric, paper, books, etc. in NYC. So I began searching for the stores that I have frequented... and it turns out I can't remember their names. I really would suggest, however, just going to the Garment District and wandering around. Many of the places I just ran into that way. Be sure to look up though! In this district there are many shops that are upstairs too. I will find the name of the place that I bought my wedding fabric though, since one would never find that from the street. Another caveat: Not all the stores are open on Saturday since this is a business district and not really touristy.

Here's a good link describing fabric, ribbon, and notions places in the Garment District.

While you are there be sure to go to The Burger Joint
118 W 57th St
New York, NY 10019
(212) 245-5000
Cross Street: Between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue
Directions: F at 57th St

The Scene
Around a curtained corner in the posh Le Parker Meridien, a neon burger sign points the way. People pack into this crowded hole-in-the-wall, where names are etched into walls next to kid's drawings and movie posters. Even though it's decorated like a regular's hangout, no one sticks around--the few coveted booths are hovered over shamelessly.

As for book stores, I would suggest The Strand bookstore. They claim to have 18 miles of used books in their store. It's a great place to find deals, and is well organized.

Does the former New Yorker have anything to add to this?

3 comments:

WondrousPilgrim said...

Btw: there is a WONDERFUL vintage cookbook store in Greenwich Village called Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks. It's on 163 W 10th Street, in the Village. And you should call ahead, (212) 989-8962, because it's not always open. Bonnie knows everything about cookbooks, and there are some real jewels.

Kitty corner from there is a small book store called Three Lives & Co. It is one of those typical and interesting NYC bookstores, that really reflects the interests and quirky tastes of the owners. Go in and you'll find something interesting, that you wouldn't find elsewhere. I got a book about the history of Nursery Rhymes called "Heavy Words Lightly Thrown".

--mp

David said...

Maybe you should ask a current NYer. He might have more tricks up his sleeve than just one burger joint ;)

andersonrc1 said...

Okay--current NYer--give us the goods! I guess I could just link to your blog...
rca