Friday, August 25, 2006

Books on Pregnancy and Child Rearing

I read several books during my pregancy, but none were so helpful as the Mayo Clinic Complete Book of Pregnancy and Baby's First Year. It is very concise and not fussy. It discusses one's options in each area (natural vs. what is typically done, etc.).

I read Baby Wise to help me get some idea of feeding and sleeping. I think it's helpful , but should be taken moderately. Ezzo stresses flexibility and parents learning their babies queues--which I think is most important. I have found, however, that Gretta does very well with being more regular in her feeding and eating schedule--and now prompts me in a very regular fashion.

On rasing children, I read Ted Tripp's book, Shepherding a Child's Heart. I LOVE this book. I think it is just the most thoughtful and helpful book in thinking about the subject. Unlike the previous book, it doesn't outline any "strategies" for behaviour. Instead, Tripp focuses on the Biblical understanding of who you are as a parent, and who the child is as a fallen creature created in the image of God. With that perspective, he also outlines faulty "strategies"--his purpose being that strategies are besides the point.

I have not read Betsy Hart's, It Takes a Parent yet, but plan on it. Has anyone already read it? I'd love to hear what you think!

I also heard that The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth was also good. Can anyone give a review of this book?

No comments: